This year’s number one animated film of the year comes to Blu-ray! That’s right, Disney-Pixar’s “Brave” is number one and their 13th consecutive hit. This movie has adventure, a Princess, wonderful tales and comedy all rolled into one. The one theme of this movie that comes to play is the intricate relationship between a mother and a teenage daughter.
“Brave” takes place in the ancient and captivating Highlands of Scotland, where the young and determined Merida sets out to make her own way against tradition and customs. She is to become engaged to one of her father’s friendly clans and is not happy at all with this arrangement. She defies her mother and declares herself able to compete for her own hand as the first born of the DunBroch’s. After this, all chaos breaks loose and she must discover the true meaning of courage and bravery.
The Highlands of Scotland are beautifully created. I can’t believe how real it looked. I was totally mesmerized by the authenticity of the lush backgrounds and how magical it came across. Merida’s hair was another amazing feature. It was like a character of its own. Disney-Pixar did a phenomenal job on the animation of this movie. Truly amazing.
This “Brave” 5-Disc Ultimate Collector’s Edition has it all. Highest quality, state-of-the-art technology, plenty of interactive and engaging bonus features. This must add is huge asset to any home media collection.
Bonus features include:
BLU-RAY – DISC 1 INCLUDES:
- “La Luna” Theatrical Short – Fans will love this charming short that accompanied the film in theatres. It follows a young boy on his first night working the family business alongside his father and grandfather.
- “The Legend of Mor’du” Short – This rousing new bonus short film will give fans the chance to delve deeper into the legend behind Mordu, as told by the eccentric witch who transformed him.
- Brave Old World – Fans will watch as members of the “Brave” production team investigate Scotland, exploring its land, culture, people and dialects. The research they gathered was brought thrillingly to life in the film. Also, fans will hear what actress Emma Thompson (voice of Queen Elinor) thinks of Pixar’s take on her homeland.
- Merida & Elinor – With the creation of Merida and Elinor, the Pixar filmmakers delved deep into the relationship between mother and daughter. Highlighting contrasts in character design, clothing, animation, voicing, even hairstyle, watch how the filmmakers explored this most important of relationships.
- Bears – Take a look inside the art and design behind the bears in “Brave.” Each of the bears, gentle Mum-Bear and terrifying Mor’du, demanded a different approach to creating their physical appearance and personality.
- Brawl in the Hall – A fascinating and hilarious inside look at the process of creating “Brave’s” fighting Scots, through animation, crowd simulation and fight choreography – not to mention a room full of grunting men whose vocal chortles added authenticity to the raucous scene.
- Wonder Moss – Fans will explore how “Brave’s” technical artists examined the real Scottish countryside and studied the laws of nature, then turned these findings into computer codes that would blanket Merida’s Scotland in lush moss, lichen and bracken.
- Magic –The magic and mystery of Scotland is revealed to fans in this charming feature about the legends – from mystical potions to the will-o’-the-wisps – seen in “Brave.”
- Clan Pixar – At Pixar, getting into character is a team effort. From making Haggis to Kilt Fridays to celebrating the Scottish poet Robert Burns, fans will see how the “Brave” production crew truly embraced Scottish themes and customs fueled the Pixar crew throughout the creation of “Brave.”
- Once Upon A Scene – A closer look at the evolution of the storylines throughout the production of the film, including alternative openings to the film and many deleted scenes.
- Extended Scenes – Three separate scenes are highlighted in their extended form. Director Mark Andrews discusses the decision making process that led to the shortened versions of these scenes.
- Director Commentary
BLU-RAY DISC 2 INCLUDES:
• “Fergus & Mor’du” An Alternate Opening – Once upon a time, “Brave” had a different opening scene. Eventually cut from the film, fans can see it in its entirety in this bonus feature narrated by the film’s director Mark Andrews.
• Fallen Warriors Montage – A selection of deleted shots that were cut from the film late in production are presented to fans in various stages of completion through a video montage narrated by director Mark Andrews.
• Dirty Hairy People – Fans will enjoy this uproarious bonus feature discussing the development of “Brave’s” Scots – including the design of their hair, attire, and dirt-crusted physiques.
• It is English…Sort Of – This bonus feature helps fans interpret some of the more Scottish lines in the film, thanks to the real Scottish actors who play the key characters and contributed their own dialects and sayings.
• Angus – A look at Merida’s most trusted companion, Angus, a mighty Clydesdale.
• The Tapestry – Fans will learn the story behind this embroidered emblem of family unity, which was lovingly crafted by “Brave’s” team of artists.
• Promotional Pieces – This bonus includes promotional clips for “Brave,” including: “Feast Yer Eyes,” “Relics,” “Clan DunBroch,” “Launch,” and more.
• Art Gallery – A selection of breathtaking art from the creation of the film, showcasing characters, sets, scenes and stunning landscapes.
• Wee Gaffes – A video montage of simulation, animation and shot bloopers.
• Renaissance Animation Man – Get a look at Director Mark Andrews’ love of Scotland, sword-fighting, music and more!
• Teasers and Sneak Peeks
BLU-RAY 3D DISC INCLUDES:
• “La Luna” Theatrical Short
• “La Luna” Theatrical Short
• “The Legend of Mordu” All-New Short
• Director Commentary